Responsible for managing employee total rewards including benefits (health, retirement, supplemental), compensation and incentives for employees and retirees of the City of Garland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Leadership & Administration
- Provide strategic leadership and administration for employee total rewards programs including self-funded health plans, supplemental benefits, retirement (TMRS), compensation and related incentives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders including external Brokers, Executive Team, Budget, Finance and related departments on total rewards design, performance and funding.
- Lead the research, preparation, modeling and communication of annual operating budgets for health and compensation; analyze projections and monitor expenditures before final approval by senior management.
- Lead and evaluate staff performance and set direction related to departmental and City strategic initiatives.
- Keep abreast of current and developing trends related to employee total rewards in order to provide analysis and subject matter expertise.
- Ability to serve as interim department lead in the absence of the Director of Human Resources and/or Managing Director
- Conduct on-going review of benefit program performance focused on metrics, targets and outcomes and make actionable recommendations on plan design and funding where needed.
- Direct communications, marketing and education campaigns related to benefits.
- Serve as project lead for large scale initiatives such as open enrollment, etc. for all core benefit functions.
- Ensure sound practices related to vendor management and escalation of employee issues related to program offerings.
Compensation & Incentives
- Oversee the compensation administration function for all departments including the design, development and administration of base and variable pay plans.
- Ensure market competitiveness by leading cyclical compensation studies and related recommendations.
- Manage salary budget process and discretionary pay adjustments related to reclassifications, reassignments, promotions, job studies and position documentation process.
- Act as the lead consultant for department leadership related to pay and incentive decisions.
- Develop discretionary and incentive programs based on merit, skill-based pay and other established factors.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, or related field
- 5-7 years professional work experience in total rewards administration with demonstrated performance in benefits and compensation
- 3-5 years of experience with budgetary development, modeling and oversight
- Demonstrated project management experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Master’s degree in business administration, human resource management, public administration, or related field
- 7-10 years professional work experience in human resources, with direct leadership of benefits and compensation and/or HR technology
- Certified Government Benefit Administrator (CGBA), SPHR/PHR, SHRM-SCP/CP, IPMA-HR Certification and/or Certified Benefits Professional preferred
- Previous experience in public sector or related arena and/or self-insured plan management
- Project management experience leading benefits or compensation related initiatives
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state labor laws/regulations related to benefits and compensation
- Extensive knowledge of benefit plan design and the ability to guide recommendations based on trends and other key performance indicators
- Previous experience with database administration, HRIS or related technology platforms
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to make organizational recommendations and guide actionable outcomes tied to metrics, trends and problem identification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to influence and gain buy-in at all levels of the organization, including City Council, etc.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, effectively managing multiple projects on target and on budget
- Expert-level skill with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to present information in an organized, logical manner and ensure execution as expected for all core functions
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Apply online at: https://external-garland.icims.com/jobs/5458/shared-services-administrator-%28hr%29/job