Serves as a consultative partner to assigned departments aligning organizational and strategic objectives with human resource related functions such as compensation, employee relations, recruitment and development. Builds collaborative partnerships across the City and within the HR function to deliver value-added service to City management and employees. Serves as a change agent for new initiatives ensuring operational impact is considered, managed, and guided to achieve success. Provides subject-matter expertise on regulatory guidelines and related internal directives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Establishes collaborative relationships with department management, providing regulatory guidance, consultation and subject matter expertise as needed.
2. Serves as liaison and primary point of contact for questions concerning HR policies and initiatives, ensuring effective two-way communication to translate strategy and initiatives into action.
3. Gains understanding of department objectives, practices and services and uses it to align HR functions, where possible, balancing the interests of both.
4. Partners with departments on core HR functions including full-cycle recruitment, compensation, benefits, employee relations, performance management, regulatory compliance, succession planning and employee development.
5. Leads HR related initiatives, ensuring effective implementation and evaluation at the departmental level.
6. Works closely with all internal HR departments, providing both departmental and HR expertise.
7. Keeps abreast of current and developing trends related to HR management in order to provide analysis and subject matter expertise.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources or related discipline
· 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resources with at least 2-3 years with generalist level responsibilities
· Demonstrated expertise in supporting an organization of similar size or sector
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
· PHR/SPHR, SHRM-CP/SCP, IPMA-HR or related Certification
· 5-7 years of progressive experience in human resource management
· Public sector, TX LGC Chapter 143 or comparable experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Demonstrated knowledge of core human resource disciplines, federal, state and local labor laws/regulations
· Understanding of best practices related to HR information systems
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to influence and gain buy-in at all levels of the organization
· Ability to present information in an organized, logical manner and ensure execution as expected for all core functions
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to make organizational recommendations and guide actionable outcomes tied to metrics, trends and problem identification
· Efficient time management skills with the ability to adapt to changes in initiatives and requirements and prioritize workload accordingly
· Expert-level skill with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
· Ability to work independently or as a part of a team
Licenses and Certifications
· Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. May be required to visit various City departments’ work locations, some of which may be hazardous, as needed.
Apply online at: https://external-garland.icims.com/jobs/5457/operations-human-resources-manager/job